3/13/2014

Love In A Cup Of Chai Latte...

To say how inspired I am to write after last night's writing class is an understatement!

Today, however, is a totally different story…


Nothing has gone according to plan so far today.  It started with me running late to an appointment then being delayed by a ton of traffic clogging up every major artery leading into downtown and surrounding areas.

Who conspired against me approving MAJOR construction projects on on a day when I have an appointment and now I'm RUNNING LATE!

I arrive at my destination to find that the electric authority here has huge work trucks all over the road even blocking the entrance to the parking lot I need access to.  Men in bucket trucks, huge wires every where.  Really!  Now!  Today!  I mean who does that!  Clearly women were not on that planning committee for work being performed around our city today.

I'm so glad I drove Zippy (my car) today.  I spot a tiny opening near the entrance of the parking lot adjacent to the building where I need to go so I pulled in and sprinted towards the building.

Note to self...LEAVE EARLIER!  Traffic could be a nightmare or something unexpected could actually come up.

I arrived at my appointment a whopping TWO minutes late.  I barely catch my breath when the office admin barks at me "They've already started.  YOU"RE LATE!"

Needless to say my appointment was cancelled.  I was told they might have me come back around 1:00 so I made myself available...ya know JUST in case.

On the way out, I caught a glimpse of how absolutely gorgeous I looked today.  I thought it would be counter-productive to fight traffic home and then on the way back into town again so I decided to find a place nearby to work on a writing assignment.

Off to Panera's I went.  A little while after finishing my bowl of soup and baguette, I felt someone tap me on the shoulder.  I looked up and it's the manager handing me a beverage.  I thought she must have mistaken me for someone else because I didn't order anything.

"Chai?" I removed my ear buds.  She repeated herself again.  "Chai? Sorry to bother you but we made an extra chai by mistake and I was wondering if you would like to have it on the house."  She seemed so determined to bless me with this chai.  I didn't have the heart to tell her I don't even know what a chai is.

I have rarely encountered such a spirit of generosity in another human being.  It was so tangible the hairs stood on the back of my neck.  Of course, I graciously accepted her chai offering and set it on the table thinking I probably wouldn't even drink it.

For a moment, it was like God himself was standing there in front of me extending me a gift of love and comfort incased in a paper cup.  I had an overwhelming sense of His presence right there in Panera Bread.  It was as if He was saying, I know you've had a rough morning, here's a little something  from me to make it all better.

The memory of my first sip will remain forever etched in my mind.  It was warm, soothing and delectable to say the least.  With each consequent sip, the aroma of spices emanated from the opening in the lid and every challenge I had faced just a few hours earlier simply faded away.







Who knew that one could find love in a cup of chai latte...




This brief exchange reminded me that God is ever present in my life.  No matter where I am or what challenges I'm faced with, He is always near when I need Him most…especially when I don't recognize my need for Him.  I felt so deeply and intimately cared for today.

I really needed that dose of encouragement today.  It was like God showed up at the right moment and winked at me saying "I see you and you're doing great.  Here's a little something to make your morning a little more palatable.  "Chai?…we made an extra one…"

The idea that I can trust in, lean on and depend totally on God even in the small and seemingly insignificant things was reinforced in my thinking big time today.

So here I sit working at my makeshift office for the next few hours while sipping of my first cup of chai latte.  Aaahhh!!!  I could really get used to this kind of living!

There are definite perks on this journey back to back2basics...

1 comment:

  1. LMAO This is so funny! I could just picture you in such a condition. ALL! I mean. haha.. That's your blessings... he's an angel. Keep them coming, Earitha. :)

    ReplyDelete