9/03/2013

Do I Really Need A College Education To Make It Rich...


Throughout my life, I've gone back and forth over whether to pursue higher education and specialization in order to procure a better employment opportunity.

Until recently, I'd seriously considered taking advantage of the tuition reimbursement benefit my employer offers in order to pursue my higher learning degree.

I mean how else would I be able to obtain the necessary skill set allowing me to move up in the company if I don't get the necessary education and training?
 
In weighing the pros and cons of returning back to school, I asked myself many questions including some of the ones listed below:
  • What would I stand to gain if I pursued higher learning at this juncture in my life?
  • Is my chosen education/career track in high demand?
  • Am I really willing to invest the time and money into obtaining my degree at this time? 
  • Will my my out of pocket contribution (whether student loans or supplemental costs) versus my potential income be worth the investment?
  • Does a degree guarantee I will find a job in my chosen field of study?
  • Is there something else I can do to both serve others and earn a living that doesn't require a college education?
  • Do I need a degree to work in the area I'm most passionate about?
  • Is having a degree necessary for me to be successful?
The more questions I asked myself, the more I became convinced that while some education and training is necessary to pursue my goal of writing, speaking and entrepreneurial ventures, I don't necessarily need to have a college degree.

I came across a great article entitled 55 Drop Out Billionaires and Successful Entrepreneurs (via our friends at Strive & Grind's Facebook page) discussing this very topic. 

The article lists some of the most successful billionaires such as Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Walt Disney, Dave Thomas, Andrew Carnegie, Mayer Amschel Rothschild and S. Daniel Abraham who either never attended school or dropped out of school on either the elementary, high school or college levels. 

For all you dreamers, builders and creators out there who might be concerned that you you can't build a multi-million or billion dollar organization due to a lack of a college degree...THINK AGAIN!  

Also, none of the trailblazers mentioned above or listed in the article allowed the lack of a formal education to hold them back...and guess what...neither should you (myself included).  The key seems to  lie in finding your area of passion, gifting or potential billion dollar idea and pursuing with everything in you.  

In my opinion, the common thread in each billionaire and entrepreneur's success story was a principle firmly rooted in grounded in them at their very core...NEVER GIVE UP! This in my opinion is the common thread in all of these success stories.  

Each entrepreneur realized their dream because of their tenacity and diligence.  Failure was simply not an option.  Instead they ingeniously engineered options for themselves where none existed.  Even in the face of failure they allowed themselves to be stretched beyond capacity to accomplish the bottom line...SUCCESS.   

I am inspired more than ever to continue building and perfecting the vision of Back2Basics.  I know there is value in all I have to share for a specific group people.  My primary focus is to staying on my own journey back2basics until I am able to successfully transition to living the life I was created to. 

Next on the agenda will be to serve others by inspiring them to likewise embrace and evolve into their authentic self and live their dream life instead of the compromise.  

I hope you will do the same.  Take some time to determine how you can increase your skill set in the area in which you want to become expert.  The internet is a great resource to research careers or business opportunities.  

You can also speak to people who are already doing what you are pursuing to see what advice they may have to offer in terms of what path you need to take in order to get properly prepared to live your dream.

For instance, through my research, I learned how to minimize my educational costs buy borrowing books from the local library.  I am committed to using the internet, reading books and blogs, joining meet up groups and other organizations and using free resources like my local district Small Business Administration office for the resources I need to help build Back2Basics.

Although, I have a vision of the final outcome for Back2Basics will be, I've entered into a season in my journey where I'm focusing on the details of the vision is required.  This is the first time that I've ever ventured to build something from the ground up like this. 

While I'm still figuring out the big picture, for now, I'm working with all the pieces I confidently know where they fit.  I have every faith that in the end, all the pieces will come together and create the picture that I'm currently dreaming of.  

Here are some books that might be of interest to you as you try to navigate your way through to decision:

I'm debunking myths and overcoming obstacles on my journey Back2Basics:  Spirit.Soul.Body...

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment